Top Foods that Help Keep Your Teeth White
When you smile, you want your teeth to sparkle and shine a brilliant white, but the foods you eat and the beverages you drink can sometimes take away a bit of the whiteness of your teeth. These include things like coffee, tea, wine, and soda.
At Family Dentistry, we offer professional teeth whitening services to help you improve the aesthetics of your smile and combat the foods which may tarnish the color of your teeth, but there are other ways you can also whiten your teeth before visiting the dentist.
Eat These Foods for Natural Teeth Whitening
The following are some foods and beverages which can naturally brighten your smile:
- Strawberries contain malic acid which has whitening properties. Mash up the fruit, rub them on your teeth, leave for about five minutes, rinse with water, and brush and floss as normal.
- Apples, celery, and carrots increase saliva production which can act as the mouth’s self-cleaning agent. Bad breath can also be remedied because these foods kill bacteria. Crunchy foods also act as as natural teeth scrubbers.
- Oranges and pineapples are tart fruits which also cause an increase in saliva production to naturally clean teeth. Lemons, however, can be too acidic when used directly on the teeth, so beware of overusing them.
- Baking soda, or toothpastes with it, has been shown to remove plaque better than toothpastes without the ingredient. You can also occasionally use baking soda right out of the box to brush your teeth.
- Yogurt and milk are dairy products which include lactic acid. This acid helps to protect teeth against decay. Proteins in yogurt may also mind to teeth and prevent harmful acids from attacking them and causing cavities.
- Cheese, specifically hard cheeses, protect teeth and clean out food particles from between them.
Be sure to also schedule regular dental visits to ensure a healthy, happy smile!
Contact Our Teeth Whitening Experts
Our teeth whitening specialists at Family Dentistry in Mason City, Iowa have the knowledge, skills, and experience to whitening your teeth and help improve your smile. Contact us today to schedule an appointment to get a whiter smile. In addition to teeth whitening, we also offer a wide range of dental services for you and your whole family. At our dental offices, you are like family, and we pride ourselves on the exceptional service we provide to each and every one of our clients.